History

Alexandria, established in 1872 and named for founder Silas Alexander, is on Highway 53 north of Highway 136. It is located on Big Sandy Creek and near the Little Blue River. The town is located in a very historical region on the Oregon Trail where many early settlers passed through. One of the early trading stations was Big Sandy Station (on the George Buchli Farm) and the first mail overland station was on the Farrels Ranch (later owned by Fred Dein). Later the Pony Express traveled through this area. There were two stockades in the vicinity - on the Joe Walker Ranch and the Harry Sulz Farm - both near Alexandria.

The town of Meridian (named for the 6th Principal Meridian on which it was located) was a thriving, good sized town with water power, flour mills and saw mills. But in the years from 1870-1872, the railroad was moving west through land owned by Silas Alexander which was five miles away from Meridian and so the town of Alexandria was named after its founder and became a growing community. After the railroad bypassed Meridian and a tornado in 1875 damaged the town, it was not rebuilt. Families and buildings were moved to Alexandria.

Alexandria's peak population was about 500 and is currently around 177. Several homes have sold this last year in the range of $20,000 to $40,000 with new families moving to Alexandria.

Historic Trail Drive